Colchester: The Postcard Collection
The first postcards of Colchester appeared around 1902. At half the price of the penny letter post and with same day delivery they quickly became the popular way to keep in touch, a kind of text messaging of the day. This is a wide ranging and carefully chosen selection of postcards that give great insight into how Colchester has changed and developed over time. The lengthy commentaries accompanying the pictures are particularly informative, pointing out the site of cock fighting on North Hill, the lepers squint in St Martin’s Church, and the pub land lord who knocked a hole in the Roman wall in 1843 to give his customers a view of the newly built railway – and thus renamed the pub. These commentaries make this a really valuable addition to books on Colchester history.